CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, October 13, 2008

What do I want to acomplish in Peru?

A good question. Why am I here? What am I doing with my little Spanish and longing for home?

This is what I am doing... Crossing continents and my own boundaries. Pushing myself out of the box and finding myself. Feeling out what I am called to do and searching, wanting more direction. I'm finding it. Soul searching and coming up wanting.

Teaching Math to high school girls in Spanish. Yes, I said MATH in SPANISH. The ironic thing? it's working.

Days seem to stretch on forever. It seems I can fit into one day in Peru, work that would take three of four in the states.

Walking around with my little notebook to write down needed Spanish phrases. Asking a ton of questions.

I am learning to be wiser with my money. Amazing how that happens when you stop receiving a paycheck. Its a scary thought. It does help that the US Dollar is worth three times as much in Peru.

I am pushing myself to pray out loud (this is very hard for me) in Spanish. And being supported by the children to do so. I thought I was suppose to be helping them grow closer with God?

The children are teaching me much about the definition of meaningful work. Sweeping a floor becomes so much more if it takes a burden of the Madre so that she can spend quality time with the children and really help them grow.

I am cleaning house and helping with showers, assisting with homework and supervising chores, mending clothes and giving/getting lots of hugs, building friendships and breaking up fights, scooping endless white rice and am thankful for being able to do so.

I am so thankful for my family that always supports and love me. My heart breaks for the children that are not so lucky. I am learning quite a bit about what I think will be important values to have when I have my own children.

Trying to show Jesus' love for the children and volunteers, workers. With the language barrier its not easy. It is a work in progress.

Also, I am trying to not be so much of a germophobe. I will not be sharing hair brushes anytime soon... But I definitely received a big mushy banana kiss on my cheek today. It was adorable.

What am I doing in Peru? I am learning every day. Trying to become a better person and come closer to God and fellow man. Loving other's as Jesus loves us all.

This is why I came here:


To Live. To Learn. To Love.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your dedication to the children of Peru. My husband and I are in the process of adopting from that noble nation, and are so grateful for selfless people like you, who are giving up time from your own life to help raise, protect, and provide for our child until we can bring them home into our loving family and arms.

We need you, and pray for you and those you work side-by-side with daily. Thank you for your service, to us, our child, and God. Bless you. We will forever be in your debt.