CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, October 20, 2008

Harvest and Daily Life

I think I have been in Peru long enough to finally fall into daily routine. What a day today was. I gave Alisson, a three year old a bath in a shower and only got half soaked. Talk about a messy experience!


Today was also day one of Angela and I taking over the garden. I brought Dante, Samir and Junior with me. Angela brought a bunch of her kids to. Luce (one of the cooks), Hugo (one of the workers who use to live in the Tesoro's with my afternoon boys), and Elias (one of the handy men) along with a bunch of other kids all worked together to harvest what was left of the corn and pull green leaves off for a pig they save scraps for. When that was finished, we dug up all the old stalks and weeds. It was a blast going through the corn stalks with the kids trying to find more ears. It was a great gift, bonding and working side by side with everyone.


I love Fall. It is probably the best part of living in the Northeast. The changing colors of the leaves and gentle cooling winds after a hot summer always brings a smile to my face. Well I didn't see the changing leaves, but it is cold here!! It feels like a fall day. Today in the garden, between the rows of corn, it really felt for a moment like I was back in a corn maze with my Dad so many years ago.

Some of the boys and girls thought it would be great fun to start a rotten tomato fight!! I tried staying out of the way but some spray got me too. It was not nearly as messy as that morning bath for Alisson!

I have been trying my hand at sewing these past few days. I am actually very shocked to say its going well. I started with little tears in seems worked up to holes in knees of jeans and now today.... (drum role please) I sewed a zipper back into place that was half falling off!! It actually looked like new. I was so excited that I showed the house mom, Milagros. She was so excited that she gave me hemming to do........ Ha. So that will be tomorrow's afternoon project. After garden, and before folding clothes, while I am helping with the children's homework. Wish me luck! Its a uniform for school. If I mess up, well... lets just pray I don't, OK?

I have so much more to write, but it will have to wait. Juliana (a 15yr old girl here) is on her way to have a Spanish/English lesson with me. :-)

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Good Luck! I am trying to sew too. I made my puppy a dog bed and she loves it! It looks good. My husband was even impressed. I guess you miss the changing of the leaves if you can't see it. I have been too busy with my last semester of school to notice. You should look at my other blog http://rdthgts.blogspot.com/
It is better than the business one. My addy is 43a Bailey Ln. Milford, CT 06461. I think it is on your facebook group also. I miss you too! Good luck with the Spanish!!