CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, October 12, 2008

My Experiance as "Madre"

I had my first experience with being "Madre" on Saturday. Angela had to go to the hospital because she was bitten by a bug and her foot is now twice the normal size.

Lindsay (another volunteer) and I watched "The Amigos De Jesus". What great little boys, but what a handful! Since it was Sat, they had family visits and played outside. The kids who didn't have family visits went to the beach with Sam and Lindsay. Apparently they brought home some friends!!

In the afternoon, I started to notice the house was smelling terrible. Lindsay and I started to find crab legs throughout the house! They were on the floor, in the bedrooms, in the bathroom sink and in the trashcan. After lunch the boys have to clean their closets and have them checked before they can play outside. I was going around checking them and one of the boys kept pulling on my sleeve to check his. So, I follow him and open the door... right at eye level with me, siting on a shelf is the largest crab I have EVER seen. Mr. crab, starring at me. Suddenly it became clear why he was so eager to show me his nice "clean" closet. All the boys had a great laugh over this. I let out a little skriek to play along.

Throughout the day some of the kids had different chorse to do, such as, washing dishes and sweeping the floor. Other than that, they played outside and inside. After a big game of Futbal, all the boys showered. After dinner they had a bit more free time and chores. Before bed Angela and I did devotionals with the boys. She asked some of the boys to look up and read certain verses. It touched on Gods love and the perfectness of it. How some people may say they love us and then do something to hurt us because people are not perfect. God however, is. I think the children get allot of information on the punishing God and perhaps not enough on the loving, forgiving God. We were trying to teach that God's love is never ending. I think the older boys got allot from it. he younger five fell asleep before we were half way through.

After devotionals, we tucked the sleeping boys in and read them some stories while the older boys played for a few more minutes. All in all it was a great day. I am certainly learning allot.

I was tucking in one of the boys and he wanted to say prayers before bed. I asked him to pray because I knew my Spanish would be choppy. He insisted that I prayed instead "in English". So I prayed first in English and then for the first time ever, in Spanish. This was my first time praying with a child and I hope that he got something out of it. It was a very emotional, fantastic, and sad moment for me.

Ps... Thankfully Angela's foot is better! It took two trips to the Dr, blood tests (by a guy with someone else's blood already on his gloves!!), a urine tests and lots of medicine. It turns out it was an allergic reaction. The guilty bug is still unknown and on the loose!

0 comments: