CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, January 17, 2009

New Arrival & Bedtime Prayers

Children never fail to make me smile. The way their minds are always traveling at warp speed is endearing. Yesterday my flip flop broke and one of the children, Abraham, proceeded to fix it by shoving a rusty nail through the bottom. He was so proud that he was able to fix it. I gave him big thanks and wore it...very carefully...for the rest of the day and picked up some new ones last night. Somehow A Tetanus shot, in Peru, is not on my top 10 list of things to do. I did read in my Spanish Phrase book last night how to ask a doctor to use a new syringe. That's good to know...

Friday 8am-Saturday 8am I watched the Chispas for Hilda. It was my first overnight in a house and I was to say the least very nervous. Turns out it was all for no reason. The girls were fantastic and all listened very well. the occasional teenage attitude and some "sibling" rivalry for attention but nothing out of the norm. We all had a fantastic time and the language barrier seemed almost non-existent. We played some games together during the day, listened to some music, did a little silly dancing. The older children enjoyed a Field trip up the sand dunes with some volunteers while the little ones played on the playground.

Bath time was lots of fun as always. I helped Zu-Zu and Erika shower and Angela helped to get them dressed while I kept the peace and showers going quick with the other girls. I ended up soaked.... as always. I miss tubs.

Meal times were great and the older girls were a big help. Zu-Zu has really warmed up to me and seems to LOVE being in the Chispas house. The girls in the Luces are to rough with the young children. Zu-Zu is a very bright girl and I think she will do very well. Angela and Sarah both gave me a break to eat and shower.

Bedtime went as smooth as it can with so many girls. I enjoy praying with the children and they get a great kick out of me praying in Spanish. When we were finished Nayeli said "Tia!! Muy Bien!" Aunt!! Very good! It was very cute. When I said prayers with Zu-Zu and Erika, I would say something, pause, and Erika would repeat my words and then wait for me to say more. After I said Amen she added something else that I could not understand, she said it very fast and then said Amen. Adorable!

Last night we received a newborn. Her name is Guadalupe and she is tiny! Only two days old. Such a beautiful baby with such a sad beginning. Her mother is thirty years old and lives in a nearby town. She was rapped and came to Trujillo to have and leave the baby. How such a perfect child and such a beautiful gift from God can come from a moment of such suffering, I can not understand. The little one is so sweet mannered, I pray she finds all the love due her. I know she has found much here. Before she arrived the volunteers raced around getting everything ready for her arrival. We reminded me of what it must have been like before father's were allowed in the delivery room. We kept asking each other "Is she here yet??!" She will only be here for a week because the orphanage can not take in children under two years old. I am sure this will be a learning experience for all of us.

Last night I realized I have only 10 weeks left in Peru. I am looking forward to the next chapter of my life but I am going to be very sad to see this one come to an end. I look forward to visits in the future and have decided to study Spanish more and find a job in the states that will involve working with at risk children. Where? Well that's up to God to show me the right direction.

1 comments:

Alicia Bernadette said...

i love how, now on the activity feed is says "sosua, dominican republic: now reading".... how neat!
how is little guadelupe doing?? do you all call her Lupe? (i can't make the thing over the e to have it sound like an ay, but you know what I mean.)