CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Actividades en el Biohuerto

Thursday we noticed a pumpkin growing in our garden!! Fiona and I are VERY excited. I ran around like a maniac telling all the children, madres, workers and volunteers. I believe the children think I am off my rocker. I know the adults do!

It is SO important that we get the kids to really invest in biohuerto (garden). Now, it is more of a chore they don't care for rather than a fun group work hour to bond us together. We have tried singing songs, playing garden appropriate games, discipline. I have even had a moment of weakness where I could not help but squirt them with the hose. Nothing seems to change the hum-drum attitude of the ninos towards our work.

So Thursday, I ran around like a maniac, loco gringa. I was singing the songs of this tiny pumpkin as if it one the mammoth contest blue ribbon in the Durham Fair. I praised God as if it could feed us all in it's tiny, green state. Yup. I made a fool of myself. In hopes to instill the importance of our garden project and the fun that it can be.

And the kids? They picked up buckets, filled them with water and helped water the other plants so that we could grow more pumpkins. They picked the bad plants, so that the good will grow stronger. Those with attention to more detail..... well, they sat at a mound and tried to kill every ant in sight. It was glorious. Some of the boys wanted pictures taken with the new discovery.

I have moments of near insanity over simple things. But I am not totally crazy. No, our first pumpkin will not feed us all. However, I praise God all the more, It feed our hearts and brought us together with much joy for one day. It fed my soul for want of whats to come.

Next step... Finding some semi-permanent shade.
oh.... and don't forget the tea I plan on making for the plants. A delicious mix of cuy (that's guinea pig) droppings and crushed mint leaves. Droppings for fertilizer and the mint to chase away the bugs. Yummmy!!



Biohuerto
, Mi dolor...
Te te querio mucho!

0 comments: