CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, November 15, 2008

Why do we let this happen?

Last night my heart broke.

Angela and I went dancing with some friends. Everything was great until I noticed the two girls nearby. They were around twelve or thirteen years old. I pointed them out to my friend and his response was "It's Peru." apparently there is no rule against under aged girls in a club. I noticed two men around fifty years old watching them. They started to shout to them but then left so I thought the trouble was over. Until one of them came back. He dragged the girls on the dance floor and started pulling at them and holding them to him. The girls looked scared and he wasn't listening to them about not wanting to dance. I told the waitress and she did nothing. Nothing. The man then dragged them out of the room to the patio below. I was really worried for them at this point so I stood looking down and watching where he could not see me but the girls could. I motioned to them in a way to ask if they were OK. One looked up and tried telling me she was but eyes don't lie. When I was watching I saw the man grab one of the girls and kiss her. He then dragged her out of the room.

I ran down stairs and told the guard and my friend told a man that worked there. Again, nothing was done for the girls. My friends ran down with me and Angela and I saw one of the girls standing by herself. We asked her if they were OK and offered a free taxi ride home. She told me the man was her uncle and she was fine. She didn't look fine, she looked desperate. She also told us the man was the other girls father. It was his daughter he had kissed so passionately on the lips! She insisted she was OK so we started to walk out but we couldn't. Angela and I stood there for a while trying to figure out what to do. The girls were alone for a minute so we asked one last time if we could help and if they needed a ride home.

The man came out while we were talking and stared at us. The girls gave us a look as if to say please go, you are only making things worse. There was nothing more we could do there. We went back home and prayed a while for them and for the man as well. I will never forget our eyes meeting when she turned to look at us as he led them back into the other room. I found it heartbreaking that something like this would happen. It happens everywhere. Peru, the states, over the entire world. The only difference between here and in the states is that back home, its less public. It's better to act than to do nothing. Please pray with us for the people in this situation.

Last night I told my friend what had happened and he asked why I don't just come home. This isn't just a problem in Peru. Its a problem world wide. We sometimes wonder why God lets things happen. It isn't God. I know he wonders why WE let these things happen. Why we stand by and watch the abused and the abusers and do nothing. "It's not my business. It doesn't involve me." You're wrong. If you don't try to do something, you have sinned just as the abuser sins. Take action. If only, it is praying hard. Take action.

0 comments: