CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Feliz Cumpleanos!


***This is my birthday card from the kids and workers in the David Miller School (home school)***

Today is my Birthday!!! I turned 22. It has been a very interesting and fantastic time. First of all, before I came to Peru, I celebrated with family, Stephen and Matt (but they know they are family too). I brought all of my cards with me to Peru and I put them up on my wall so when I am homesick I can read them and see the pictures too. Here are some pics I took with my web cam tonight...



***It is cold in Peru!! My bed with ammazing sheets and two alpaca? blankets. I also sleep in sweatpants, t'shirt, sweatshirt annnd long socks!***


***My closet... can you believe I fit all that and what is in my dresser in ONE suitcase? No wonder why I had to pay extra for it!***
***My sign outside my room with the birthday drawings from my new roomies and fellow volunteers.***

The shower is very touchy!! Its either very hot or very cold. I have it down now though. I thought I would have to wet/wash/rinse, but I think I have the hang of it now. ;-) The blowdryer is fun, it sparks when I plug it in. Currently something is wrong with my overhead light and it will flicker like you would imagine in a horror movie. Its fantastic durring a shower at night. Haha. Luckily, I have a skylight in shower, so if I use it durring the day its fine.



***Beware of Tracy!! ***This is wear I am when I call you***
She was a street dog, but now we
love her and she is a faithfull
watchdog and companion. She
keeps my feet warm but wakes me
when her belly rumbles. She also
kicks me in her sleep.

My Birthday was fantastic. Sadly, I could not call many people because our phones were out due to high winds tonight. I am so sorry, and I will call soon!!
I started the day by a knock on the door. Lindsay, a volunteer here made me breakfast! It was fantastic. Scrambled eggs, just like home and bread with jelly. I also had a fruit platter or oranges, apples and bannanas!! We ate together. She is a very sweet girl and good friend.
Then it was off for my official first day of work! I work in the tessoros with the girls in the morning from 8:30-12, have an hour break, then from 1-5 I am with the Chispas with the boys. Juliana, a 15yr old girl teaches me spanish while I try and teach her words in English. She is very patient with me and I am greatfull. Arnold is my favorite child here. If I could I would bring him home in a second. Sadly, even if I wanted to ten years from now when I could, I can't. You have to be 18 yrs or more older and he is nine. His smile could light up a room. Today we did laundry together and he helped me fold it. He is short at nine and his sheets kept brushing the ground. He felt bad and kept saying lo siento (im sorry) over and over again. I told him it was ok and not to worry, then showed him it is easy to brush off the sand. After that, his house madre had me help him with his homework. After all was done, it was time to play on the playground that we built the last time we were here with Coast Guard Academy, Church Public and NLCM!! Lots of fun.
At lunch time everyone sang happy birthday to Luce and I. Luce is one of the cooks. We got to blow out candles (a few times because they were trick candles)!! It was very good cake and I enjoyed bringing people slices.
This evening we had a volunteer meeting and group devotionals, both went well. Thursday night we are going to Cafe Caramel to celebrate my bday!! Coffee here I come....
Now, Tracy and I are off to sleep. I am sure it will be a busy day. It is a madre and padres last day working in a house and us volunteers have to fill in until the new madre comes. I hope they don't take leaving to hard and that the kids will be allright.
Talk to you all soon!
Love,
Laura








1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday and a long distance HELLO from your uncle Mike. Thanks for the great blog to keep in touch. Wish we could have gotten together before you left but will definitely see you for Christmas this year :) :) Your accommodations look pleasant - glad you are enjoying your stay!